<VV> Hybrid cars and electric cars

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat Aug 16 23:36:45 EDT 2014

The Volt is a plug-in Hybrid Electric. The Prius is "currently"  (sorry)
available in several designs. All the older models were gas-powered and  were
driven by a battery-fed electric motor, which was only powered by an
on-board gas engine. The Volt can be driven on only electric if you  are careful,
for a certain distance. Beyond that distance, or if the extra power  is
needed, it can be driven on both. When the battery pack has  dropped below a
certain level, it is driven on just the gas motor - for any  distance you want
to go. Just keep putting gas in. When you get to a plug-in  station, you can
replenish the battery. The Ford C-Max Energi is the same  concept. My
brother has a C-Max Energi. (There is also a non-plug in standard  C-Max hybrid).
Since he and his wife drive it around in the city, (Seattle  area), mostly,
they made it well past 1000 miles before their first fill-up  of gasoline,
since they plug in both at home and at work. Ford recommends using  the gas
motor regularly to make sure the gasoline doesn't go stale. His son has  a
Tesla S, he drives around LA mostly, plugging in at home or at work. His
travels are planned with charging points in mind. The car was in Seattle last
month, so he knows how to get places. I have driven the Tesla and I was
impressed by the performance. The C-max Energi, the Volt and the Tesla are in
markets which I am not interested. But many people are, and they can make a
valid case for those cars.  It takes all kinds. - Seth

In a message dated 8/16/2014 6:12:40 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,