<VV> Sticking Blocker Rings

Karl Haakonsen (cityhawk@pobox.com) karlhaakonsen at comcast.net
Mon Aug 25 06:28:08 EDT 2014

I don't claim to have much knowledge with Corvair manual transmissions, or the appropriateness of using ATF in them, but thought I could offer some knowledge from my Saturn experience.

Saturn S series cars use ATF in their manual transaxles.Be sure not to use higher than Dexron III as it is thinner and not appropriate for manual transmissions (for example Dexron VI is not good for manuals).  I use Amsoil Torque Drive in mine, though I understand Castrol Transynd is the functional equivalent.

Karl in Boston

Evidently you don't have a totally unique problem, as Smitty had the same
and Clark's had a ready suggestion on what to do (not do) about it.  I think
the problem is with the part, not anything you might have done wrong.  At
this point, I would be willing to try any far-fetched attempt at fixing it
that doesn't require taking it out.

Fluid changes:  I think either Hy-Tran or Mobil 1 are worth a try.  A third
option came to mind, ATF.  Car manufacturers have used ATF in the past to
"fix" an assortment of manual transmission problems.  I'm not sure which
version of ATF I would try.  Pick one with an EP rating or ring and pinion
problems will be next.  By the way, I believe the CORSA Tech Guide has an
article that gives measurements to find the right place to drill a '64
differential case for a drain plug.  The "right place" is where you can hit
the bottom of the sump and miss the gears, bearings etc.

Another probably bad idea:  I also thought about whether the problem could
be cured by forcing some wear of the blocker ring, maybe getting it to seat
more evenly.  The only idea I came up with to accomplish that is to get out
on the road and shift it into third gear a few times with the clutch
engaged.  Even with the engine speed fairly closely matched, engaging the
gears will put a pretty good load on the ring.  I would probably try this
first then change the fluid.  The question is whether you decide you have
anything to loose by trying it.

On being from Brocton:  Close but not quite.  I am originally from
Forestville, moved away in 1975, been back for visits many times since.
I've been to LaPorte's to pick up parts.  I believe there is/was another Jim
Becker that actually lived in Brocton and that he was fairly close to my
age.  I don't believe we ever met.  I could go on with other New
York/Corvair stories, but they should probably go off-list.

Jim Becker