<VV> Thermister Swap?

Allan V. Lacki redbat01 at verizon.net
Sun Aug 31 18:18:01 EDT 2014

Frank DuVal is correct. The temperature curve for the Rochester 3080-38 thermistor does not match AC Delco Part 1513431, which is the unit used in Corvair Spyders and Corsas. But it is the same size as the AC Delco unit. The threaded portion of the Rochester thermistor body is 3/8 inches in diameter with a 24 pitch fine thread. This is the same diameter and thread as the stock AC Delco unit used in the Corvair.  In fact, almost all of the dimensions of the Rochester 3080-38 thermistor match the  AC Delco unit and the exceptions are of no consequence as far as fitment is concerned.  Dick Weidner and I checked the dimensions by comparing the Rochester factory drawing to an actual AC Delco thermistor.  Prices for the Rochester unit range from $80 to $150 apiece. You have to shop around for the best price. I should point out that this part is manufactured by Rochester Gauges of Dallas Texas, which is NOT the General Motors subsidiary that made Rochester carbs! Rochester of Dallas does not sell to the public, but instead, sells through selected jobbers such as Aircraft Spruce.