<VV> '65 Corvair heater "FAN" motor shaft keyed?

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Tue Dec 9 15:06:06 EST 2014

Charlie,

The piece you are describing as having a "keyed hole" which fits the flat on
the shaft from the motor is the same piece that I called the "metal center
piece" and has ALSO been called the "hub".  It is a part of the fan or
"squirrel cage".

Since (as you describe) it is "keyed" to the shaft from the motor, it is
going to spin at the same speed as the motor.  However, since it is merely
crimped to the REST of the squirrel cage, over time the crimp fails and
allows the fan to move slower than the motor - creating the squeal that you
hear emanating from the heater area.

EMs and LMs used the same motor and fan SFAIK.  Well, those with the
"fresh?" air heater.

The plastic fans (I'm not sure if they are/were GM or aftermarket) are
molded and do not have that crimped on center hub and will therefore spin at
the same speed as the output shaft from the electric blower motor.  They
don't seem to be easily available now.  This leaves you with finding a way
to fix the one you have in some way to prevent the hub from spinning at the
point of attachment to the fan itself.

It seems to me that applying lubricant is going to stop the squeal for a
while, but the fan will likely not be spinning as fast as the motor - if at
all.

Yes - you have circled to part of the fan that is the problem area.

Later, JR