<VV> Need Help - 69 Front Suspension Settings

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Dec 23 11:55:07 EST 2014

On 12/22/2014 7:17 PM, Frank DuVal via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Bill, I am not picking on you , I ask this question every time I hear
> or read the phrase "turned the drums".
>
> Why did you turn the brake drums? They can only be turned until the
> minimum diameter is reached, then they are no good. Back in the 60s
> every shop seemed to turn drums with every brake shoe replacement.
> Even undamaged and new drums! They sold a lot of needlessly replaced
> brake drums... I have not turned a drum in 20 years.

In the old days...
it was taught - perhaps as a safety measure. The average shop/mechanic
didn't have a good way to check for out-of-round, or other possible
problems.
Some drums had hard spots /bad metallurgy. I'm not sure that turning
them would have helped, anyway.
It was written that a drum could wear to a bellmouth or barrel shape. In
theory, a non-cylindrical drum wouldn't stop the same one that was
perfectly cylindrical. Also, it would take a while for the shoes to wear
down to match the drum surface.
A drum that's been in service has a smooth surface. if the arc of the
shoes doesn't match the drum size, only part of the shoe will contact
the drum. That could overheat the lining at the contact point, damaging it.
In any case, if the brakes aren't the same between right and left, you
can get pulling or other funny behaviour.
If you're doing work on a production basis, you don't want comebacks.
Turning drums is a way to improve your odds of a good job, and you get
to charge the customer for it.

For us cheap so-and-sos, if it's not obviously our of round or horribly
worn, we might just throw linings on it and run it.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal

---