<VV> Brakes

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Tue Dec 23 12:45:07 EST 2014

Turning the drums won't help the arc match unless you just get lucky.  Shops used to have a machine to grind the shoes to match the arc of the drum.  I wish I had one.  I do have a brake lathe.
The problem I've found with most shops turning drums is that they take a single big cut so they won't have to do it twice.  I take as little off as possible to clean them up because they are almost always out of round and have high/low spots no matter what they look like.  The car will stop better with round drums.
Obviously you can get away without doing it and I probably wouldn't turn them as often if I didn't have a brake lathe.

Joel McGregor

From: VirtualVairs [virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] on behalf of Jay Maechtlen via VirtualVairs [virtualvairs at corvair.org]
Subject: Re: <VV> Need Help - 69 Front Suspension Settings

A drum that's been in service has a smooth surface. if the arc of the
shoes doesn't match the drum size, only part of the shoe will contact
the drum. That could overheat the lining at the contact point, damaging it.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal