<VV> Brakes

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Tue Dec 23 13:24:18 EST 2014

On 12/23/2014 9:45 AM, Joel McGregor via VirtualVairs wrote:
> Turning the drums won't help the arc match unless you just get lucky.  Shops used to have a machine to grind the shoes to match the arc of the drum.  I wish I had one.  I do have a brake lathe.
> The problem I've found with most shops turning drums is that they take a single big cut so they won't have to do it twice.  I take as little off as possible to clean them up because they are almost always out of round and have high/low spots no matter what they look like.  The car will stop better with round drums.
> Obviously you can get away without doing it and I probably wouldn't turn them as often if I didn't have a brake lathe.
>
> Joel McGregor
Agreed.
IIRC, you'd arc the shoes a bit smaller than the drums, to make sure the
ends didn't hit first.
It was never mentioned, but the freshly turned surface of the drum would
probably wear the shoe to correct any mis-match.
A drum lath - given a lot more garage space, one of those would be nice
to have.

--
Jay Maechtlen
SoCal