<VV> Brakes

Dusty Steinberg noahsarkinc at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 23 14:40:06 EST 2014

In the old days, the remanufactured shoes usually used slightly larger lining material than what originally came on the vehicle.  If you purchased new drums, and remanufactured shoes, you had to back the adjustment off completely to get the drums onto the car.  This sometimes created a problem that was solved with the shoe arcing machine.  Back then, the lining material contained asbestos, and that is what led to many deaths of brake  mechanics. The arcing machine would remove material from the center of the shoe, or it might be better defined as the area slightly above and below the 3 and 9 o'clock position of the shoes. I personally prefer to use the NORS (new old replacement stock) brake shoes as compared to the modern brake lining material since it is my belief that the old materials stopped the car with less fade, etc..  Finding a place that can even turn brake drums is almost impossible today.
Paul in CT