<VV> MISSING / WRONG KEYS

Bryan Blackwell bryan at skiblack.com
Sun Dec 28 20:21:44 EST 2014

On Dec 28, 2014, at 4:10 PM, Charlie via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

> Just curious but, in your experience, how much is "not that expensive" to
> compare with whatever quote I get?

Assuming you have the lock cylinder in your hand, it has a 4 digit code on it.  I called Jeff at the Corvair Ranch and got keys inexpensively enough that I forget the price.  Chances are other places can do it, but I'd hit the Corvair vendors first because your local locksmith gets plenty of business from Toyota owners.

> I bought a '65 convert and never put the top up for the first 3 months,
> until "California freezes over" or until I get caught in the rain and so
> never considered locking the doors.
>
> A week before Christmas it did rain, so I put the top up, and I figured I
> might as well lock the doors too.

Note - I've been always told, and practice, "never lock a convertible".  Why?  Because anyone with a box cutter has a key.  Thieves don't do things nicely, they break stuff.  If you get the car back, it's just more broken than if it were unlocked.  If you wish to secure something, lock it in the trunk.

--Bryan