<VV> MISSING / WRONG KEYS

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Sun Dec 28 23:58:03 EST 2014

A locksmith should be able to change the tumblers in the door locks to
match the ignition key, but:

1. Changing the tumblers in a door lock requires popping off the outer
cover, the shinny stainless steel round part you see and put the key
through. Usually you need to put a new stainless steel cover on to
finish the job.

2. Changing the tumblers in the ignition lock to match the doors
requires no extra parts, just the correct tumblers.

3. Did you lubricate the door locks? It could be that no one has used
the key in so long they have frozen. It is a convertible! Many people
never lock a convertible. My insurance company, back in 76, told me
never to lock my convertible.

4. The door locks, if they never had their tumbles changed, should match
the 4 digit code on the outer lock cylinder. You get this out of the
door by removing the interior door panel and pulling the u shaped clip
with Vise grips or Channellocks.

5. Compare the 4 digit code on the door locks to the code on the
ignition cylinder.

6. You get the ignition cylinder out by inserting the key, turn CCW to
ACC position, then insert a paper clip in the little hole, and continue
to turn CCW.

7. It should be cheaper to get a key cut by code than changing the
tumblers in either the door or ignition.

8. Not of use to you, Charlie, but changing the tumblers on FC door
locks is easy! No damaging a cover to get them open. I've done several
sets for club members.

Frank DuVal