<VV> Safety - Cars and other

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Wed Feb 12 14:13:26 EST 2014

By definition, we survived. But many did not, hence the reasons for the
Coddling of the new car safety, the bicycle helmets, etc. Many would say that
is  just trying to thwart Darwinism. But it is interesting to see the
difference in (US) deaths per mile in cars over the last 50 years. From  1962-69
there were around 5 deaths per 100 million miles driven. Starting in  1970,
the number started dropping almost every year. In 2011, it was 1.1 deaths
per 100 million miles. That is an amazing change, though certainly not all
due  to car design.

I do agree on the "Terror Merchant" concept. If you watch just the nightly
news, you would swear crime is running rampant. But, according to the
Christian  Science Monitor newspaper:

"In the past 20 years, for instance, the murder rate in the United States
has  dropped by almost half, from 9.8 per 100,000 people in 1991 to 5.0 in
2009.  Meanwhile, robberies were down 10 percent in 2010 from the year before
and 8  percent in 2009. The declines are not just a blip, say
criminologists. Rather,  they are the result of a host of changes that have fundamentally
reversed the  high-crime trends of the 1980s. And these changes have taken
hold to such a  degree that the drop in crime continued despite the recent
recession. Because  the pattern "transcends cities and US regions, we can
safely say crime is down,"  says James Alan Fox, a criminologist at Northeastern
University in Boston. "We  are indeed a safer nation than 20 years ago."
I will still wear my seatbelt, adding a helmet when I Autocross. The thing
to remember with a helmet is you are supposed to wear it, not use it!

-Seth

In a message dated 2/12/2014 8:20:13 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,