<VV> Valve Cover Races

ricebugg at comcast.net ricebugg at comcast.net
Mon Feb 17 16:58:33 EST 2014

All:  We have an annual Pinewood Derby Races and Chili Cookoff for men at church.  There are two classes: one per the boy scouts rules and a outlaw class.  The outlaw class has one prohibition: no system which produces smoke and/or fire.  Fire Marshell rules.  Some of the outlaw racers cause everybody to clear the end of the track, as a couple of the outlaws have tryed to fly when the hit the foam at the end of the track.

So...rule writers beware.

Remember the number one rule from auto racing:  the folks who read the rules are more creative and/or smarter than those who write the rules.  The SCCA solved the problem decades ago with a rule which says something like "anything not specifically allowed is prohibited".  NASCAR solve the problem by hiring the biggest cheater...ah..."creative rule interpreter"...in their garages to write and enforce the rules.  F1 has other teams protest things on other team's cars which they wish they had thought of, then a board meets and issues a new rule usually prohibiting someones really good idea.

Historically Yours,
                      James Rice

Message: 4Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 13:13:32 +0000From: "Ratliff, Thomas" <Thomas.Ratliff at indwes.edu>Subject: Re: <VV> Vair Fair and Valve Cover RacersTo: "virtualvairs at corvair.org" virtualvairs at corvair.org
Along these lines, I've heard of valve cover races, been intrigued by the thought of valve cover races, but cannot find an explanation of the rules for such. Can someone give me a link or document that clearly explains the normal rules and requirements for valve cover racing? (I'll wait to comprehend the outlaw division later)

Thomas

Thomas RatliffCircle City Corvair Club memberOwner of "Tux"

-----Original Message-----From: virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org [mailto:virtualvairs-bounces at corvair.org] On Behalf Of SmittySent: Thursday, February 13, 2014 5:03 PMTo: virtualvairs at corvair.orgSubject: <VV> Vair Fair and Valve Cover Racers

Smitty Says; We will be doing something a little different at the VairFair this year. We have expanded the Valve cover races to include an Outlaw division. All you guys that have been bored with gravity pulling the racers down the track (Ho Hum), can now build something a little more
brisk. All the dimensions and weights that apply in the stock class will apply to the outlaws. The only thing different will be the power source. So break out your chain saw engines and surplus J-79s and come watch the Junk Yard Dawg kick your %#@$% with his marvelous mystical mystery engine._______________________________________________
Message: 5Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 09:16:57 -0600From: "tim mahler" <flat6vair at comcast.net>Subject: Re: <VV> Vair Fair and Valve Cover RacersTo: virtualvairs at corvair.org

Here's a link to the basic guidelines from the CORSA web site.
Vair Fair may have some variations. Outlaw division could be exciting, wonder if they will have a long shut down area??

http://www.corvair.org/phocadownload/csadocs/lawsnrules/Valve_Cover_Racing_Guidelines.pdf