<VV> Air? Chassis rot?

Vairtec Corporation vairtec at comcast.net
Thu Jan 2 10:44:12 EST 2014

Someone wrote:
> You should be able to crank on the steering wheel with the tires locked
> stationary, and the steering box shouldn't move.

"Shouldn't" is the operative work here.

A Corvair as designed should not exhibit movement of the steering box,
but the cars are now 50 years old and in a lot of instances, rusty.
While I think it is more likely that worn pieces of the steering
mechanism are what are moving, I see no reason to doubt that an entire
steering box, 50 years old and on a 50-year-old frame rail on a
50-years-rusting car, might itself be moving.

The steering box in a Corvair FC is mounted, for all practical purposes,
right under the driver's feet.  In some less-than-perfect FCs my feet
have felt the steering box exert pressure on the toeboard.

As a kid, perhaps 12 years old, I was "stooging" for an oval-track racer
and was advised to not turn the steering wheel unless the car was
moving.  By "moving" he meant even just a little, rolling the car
forward or backward by hand.  His explanation was that to turn the
steering with the car at rest was too hard on the steering gear.

It's amazing how things you learn as a child stay with you.  To this day
-- A LOT of years later -- I try to never turn a steering wheel with the
car at rest.