<VV> What are your Corvair plans for 2014

Hershkowitz, William WHershkowitz at doitt.nyc.gov
Fri Jan 3 12:20:43 EST 2014

                                                                                                                                                                                      B"H

Since  I depend on my car as a daily driver, my plans are to keep her running reliably, and make whatever repairs/enhancements are needed to keep her in good shape.

I've got boxes of parts from Clark's that are waiting for installation, including:

1.       New harmonic balancer

2.       Carb choke linkages (to replace the ones that got lost when I was doing my last tuneup)

3.       Speedo cable

I need to check cylinder compression, and fix a potential electrical problem which I'll describe in a  separate email.  For Chanukah my lovely wife gave me some cash and told me to buy whatever I wanted with it...so I got a nice set of driver quality Chevy mag hubcaps; I always wanted them since they give the car a sporty look.  So now I have three sets of wheel covers to put on and off whenever I want, each gives the car a different appearance :)

The interior needs minor work, and I want to permanently mount the A/C kickup solenoid.

My most important goal is to keep her from getting rear-ended again; I've been rear-ended twice since I got my first Corvair back in '06.  As some of you may remember, that pretty blue '69 Monza was a total loss; the one last year fortunately wasn't, so I was able to get the '66 fixed and looking even better than before the accident.

I have a distant fantasy of upgrading the steering box, column and wheel to the 67-69 safety style, but I haven't found one for sale, nor have I tried to make such a conversion.  I already have 1969 style shoulder belts in the car, and I really like the matching aqua '66 wheel with the chrome horn ring, so maybe my car is "almost" as safe as a '69.  (I also have upgraded front seats with headrests and locking seatbacks, with the correct matching upholstery).

I wish all my fellow Corvairers a most happy, successful, and healthy New Year...

Bill Hershkowitz  '66 Monza Sport Sedan 110 PG A/C

William J. Hershkowitz
Manager of Network Systems - Design & Engineering
2 Metrotech Center, 2nd Floor
Brooklyn, New York   11201
E-mail:  whershkowitz at doitt.nyc.gov<mailto:whershkowitz at doitt.nyc.gov>
718.403.1970 (Office)
347.723.0029 (Cell)
Network Systems Intranet Website: http://mt-prd-netsys.nycnet
Network Problems should be reported to the Citywide Service Desk:  212-NYC-HELP

[NYCITT_RGB4officeprint]