<VV> ethanol problems confirmation

Grant Young gyoungwolf at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 5 09:59:57 EST 2014

It's apparently true, what they say about ethanol causing contamination. We spent several hours and $240 changing the in-tank fuel pump in my daughter's 2008 Expedition (78K) yesterday. Sadly, the tank was over half full. The fuel was milky looking and the pump and intake pickup filter were socked with what appears to be rust, but since there is very little, if any, ferrous metal in the fuel system, that is not likely unless it came with the gas. The same problem was found in a new external filter. (Also found out that the dealer has been charging $34 for a $6 filter they are buying at NAPA and lying about it, but that's another story about how they fund extended warranties and not Corvair related). We used two rolls of paper towels cleaning the residue from the inside of the plastic tank. (Testing showed the pump working at 30% capacity). So if you are not using a deterrent or have found a non-ethanol fuel supply, you will be in for the unpleasant consequences when the rust from the water in your tank and particles from deteriorated rubber lines start hitting your carbs (good for me, but bad for you). Happy New Year,
Grant