<VV> Acrid Burning Smell (Electrical?) on Startup

Bill H. gojoe283 at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 6 13:08:54 EST 2014

                                                                                                                                                B”H

HI everyone, may you all enjoy a happy, healthy and
successful New Year!

I’m wondering if anyone has ever had this symptom:  Your Corvair starts with no problem, but there
is a strong burning smell, like electrical wires burning, when first starting
(cranking/starting circuit?).  The smell
goes away after about 1 minute, and the engine fires right up with no problem
and the starter cranks at full speed.

I’ve checked my wiring at the ignition switch, as well as
the wires going to the starter and all the wires in the engine bay, and none
appear to have melted insulation or other problems.

Any help would be appreciated; my car runs fine but
naturally this symptom shouldn’t be ignored.  She’s my ’66 Monza Sport Sedan, 110, PG with factory A/C.

Regards…Bill Hershkowitz