<VV> Snap rings for lifters

djtcz at comcast.net djtcz at comcast.net
Mon Jan 6 13:55:59 EST 2014

original message -
From: Sethracer at aol.com

Has anybody replaced the bent wire retainers in a set of new lifters with
real snap-rings -the kind that demand a set of snap ring pliers to
install/remove? I have, at times found the bent wire pieces in the pan, never a
snap-ring. Is the groove in the lifter shaped correctly to receive a snap ring
edge, or is it "too" round, made to accept only the round shape of the
wire. Any thoughts on doing this? - Seth Emerson

I would not install a hard working snap ring in a groove that was not the correct profile.

Grooves for useful sizes of "truarcs" on pages 2 and 3 here
http://waldestruarc.com/pdfs/N5000%20Series.pdf

note that the depth of the groove and maximum groove corner radius are specified.
As are the max radius or chamfer of the retained shaft (R Max or CH Max ) with the maximum static load.
I think a dynamic, or worse impact load, would be much less.

spirolox generally have the same groove dimensions as truarcz\
\
Dan T