<VV> Floor Coatings and My Car Plans for 2014

paulsiano at yahoo.com paulsiano at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 7 16:20:32 EST 2014

I did my new shop floor in while living in MI with a two part water based epoxy purchased at Lowe's.  I tried hard to follow the directions.
The result looked good for a few months but tire lift, even when cold, became a big problem.

About two years ago I had a garage built (pictured) and used a two part, non water based, Sherwin Williams epoxy called "Tile Clad."
It's available in lots of colors, costs more, and works just fine.

A month ago we had the main garage floor done using the using the same "Tile Clad" but applied by someone who does floors only.
He added a marine grade sealer and I think there is every reason to believe it will last "forever."  (I'm 73)

Some thoughts: (most have been mentioned)

Surface prep is hugely important.

Paying a professional would be the way I would go if I were to do another floor.

A reminder, welding spatter will mess up any coated floor.  (ask me how I know)  Consider a clean side and dirty side.

The picture shows the floor that is about two years old...the space is where the Corvair is usually parked.

I have spent the last couple of weeks cleaning and organizing the shop.  My plan for 2014 is to get it messy again.

Hope this helps.

Paul