<VV> Epoxy(?) floor coating - another 2 cents worth

vpersh at netzero.com vpersh at netzero.com
Wed Jan 8 18:20:26 EST 2014

Several years (about 5) coated my garage floor but didn't used epoxy. I have seen too many floors that didn't look so hot after a few years of service. Paint flaking up especially in the areas where warm car tires parked in the same spot over and over. I consulted with the paint rep that serviced the company where I worked and he gave me some what I consider to be some real good info. First, he said to use 2-part urethane paint for a longer lasting job. Here's what I did (per his recommendation: First I thoroughly washed the floor with a strong solution of powdered Tide soap and water. I then rented a belt sander from Home Depot. One of those that has about an 8" wide belt with a stand-up handle on it. As I recall I used 60 or 80 grit paper. I sanded the entire floor and then vacuumed up the debris. I used a high solids polyurethane semi-gloss gray primer (supplied by Cardinal Industrial Finishes) along with the appropriate catalyst and reducer. I mixed the paint for the first coat the required catalyst and with several times more reducer than called for. This made it really thin and the floor soaked it up like a sponge. After the first coat had cured, I mixed the second coat per the instructions and applied a nice thick coat. All this was done with a roller, of course. I kept the cars off of the floor for about a week. Now, 5 years later the floor looks pretty much as it did when new. No chips, no flaking and, the part I like the best, really easy clean up. It has been run over with floor jacks and creepers, it has had stuff dragged across it, Jack stands planted on it, and who know what-all. A mop bucket with Tide and hot water make cleaning up grease/oil spills and tire marks almost a pleasure. Anyhow, it's a little bit different approach than using and epoxy kit from the hardware store, but it sure has worked great for me. Van Pershing