<VV> Suspension question

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Mon Jul 7 02:26:15 EDT 2014

On 7/5/2014 11:55 AM, DON W HILTPOLD JR via VirtualVairs wrote:
> I have a question in regard to the front suspension of the rampside pickup, I'm currently building a vair that has 4 vehicles combined into 1 the front half of a 61 rampside is mounted to a shortened 84 grand prix chassis and the engine is behind the cab a 78 olds 260 V8 my question is will the stock front coils be rated enough to support the weight or will I need something more rated for the load.
> Don Hiltpold

ok, so the engine behind the cab, the chassis loading would be similar
to throwing the motor and trans in the bed, but without the 'vair motor
in the back, which would ordinarily take some weight off of the nose.

I can't find a weight for the dumb thing, but presuming it's 600 pounds
or so, it is within the Rampside's rated capacity of 1000 lbs.
It would sit nice and low, because the nose would be running at about
3/4 rated payload.

from HAMB:
The 260 engines should be avoided, due to their lack of performance
potential, although all bolt-on parts WILL fit them if you insist on
using one.

HotRod Magazine recently responded to a reader's letter and went over
the Olds 260.
  - eh - if you just want something reliable with decent torque, it may
be a decent choice.
Of course, once everything is figured out, you could put a much bigger
Olds in there with very little effort...
--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---