<VV> idle question 2

Matt Nall patiomatt at aol.com
Wed Jul 9 22:57:10 EDT 2014

     Well, tonight I had to move the car across the driveway.  The engine was
stone cold not having been run in a week.  Imagine my surprise when I started it
(carbs with
51 jets and the chokes closed) the CAR IDLED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Smooth as
silk.  Then, as it warmed up and the chokes opened, back to the same crap.
Probably the same thing that happened with the other (50 jet) carbs
My second question is this:  This sure does point to the jets being too small,
right?  Sounds logical to me.  I thought about putting in #53's.  I saw
something in the
Clark's catalogue about using jets a size bigger because of today's crappy gas.
I only want to do this job once, so any and all thoughts and opinions welcome.
Thanx.

Randy

Randy!!  Mainjets have nothing to do with idle / off idle

Do you have TWO  good streams of fuel when you snap the throttle open from each carb? [accelerator pumps ]

Also,  have you disconnected the down link on the passenger carb and then snap opened ONE carb at a time?  It may be only one carb...

Matt Nall
Charleston, Oregon
http://tinyurl.com/The-Corvair-Patio

http://tinyurl.com/Matts-Tech-Pages