<VV> idle question 2

Jay Maechtlen jaysplace at laserpubs.com
Thu Jul 10 12:15:52 EDT 2014

On 7/9/2014 7:57 PM, Matt Nall via VirtualVairs wrote:
>       Well, tonight I had to move the car across the driveway.  The engine was
> stone cold not having been run in a week.  Imagine my surprise when I started it
> (carbs with
> 51 jets and the chokes closed) the CAR IDLED PERFECTLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Smooth as
> silk.  Then, as it warmed up and the chokes opened, back to the same crap.
> Probably the same thing that happened with the other (50 jet) carbs
> My second question is this:  This sure does point to the jets being too small,
> right?  Sounds logical to me.  I thought about putting in #53's.  I saw
> something in the
> Clark's catalogue about using jets a size bigger because of today's crappy gas.
> I only want to do this job once, so any and all thoughts and opinions welcome.
> Thanx.
>
> Randy
>
> ==============================================================================================
>

> Randy!!  Mainjets have nothing to do with idle / off idle
>

> Do you have TWO  good streams of fuel when you snap the throttle open from each carb? [accelerator pumps ]
>

> Also,  have you disconnected the down link on the passenger carb and then snap opened ONE carb at a time?  It may be only one carb...

But he can run down the freeway as long as he keeps light throttle.
Doesn't that suggest that the  off-idle is ok?
If the jets were ok, it should run fine when he mashes it in midrange,
aside from any stumble caused by possible accelerator pump issues.

Another thing - Won't headers and free-flowing mufflers tend to lean the
mixture?

--
Jay Maechtlen SoCal '61 2-dr modified w/fiberglass skin, transverse 3.8
Buick V6 TH440T4 trans

---