<VV> Fan Hub Interchangability

Greg Shaw 65vair180 at sbcglobal.net
Tue Jul 29 22:54:44 EDT 2014

  I am replacing the engine crankcase cover (bad bearing) with another one I had in my garage. I noticed both engines had the older curved metal veins so I thought they were a match. I noticed the one had a shorter bearing hub. I measured the height from the fan mounting surface to the underside of the casting (gasket surface). The one measured 4 1/2 " and the other 4 3/8".  Is this 1/8 inch enough to cause the fan to contact the engine cover (turkey roaster)? It didn't notice how large the gap was. The shorter one is the one I'm removing. Could the other one I have just not be fully seated or could there be that much difference by tolerance? I don't want to reassemble this just to test it. Thank you. My engine has a Z code the donor engine a Y.

Greg
Dearborn, MI