<VV> Engine removing method

Frank DuVal corvairduval at cox.net
Wed Jul 30 12:56:32 EDT 2014

Until I bought the hydraulic table, EVERY Corvair engine/drivetrain I
removed involved the use of one hydraulic jack and a dolly. This dolly
was similar to a mover's dolly, except it had been constructed by my
grandfather back in the 30s/40s or so for moving cabinets and other
equipment. Steel casters with a deck height of about 5" off the floor. I
did beef up one of the dollies with an extra sheet of plywood.

Get car high enough, place dolly on jack, roll under car. Place jack at
balance point of what you are removing. Jack up dolly to put pressure on
removing components. Take out appropriate fasteners. Lower jack, while
keeping unit balanced. When on floor, pull jack from under dolly and
roll drivetrain to working area.

Yes, there were close calls on the balance part. Sometimes it took a try
or two to find the magic balance point. Of course, for the down
movement, there were no second tries, just hold onto the unit and force
a balance.

For complete drivetrain removal, keep the car level. For removing just
the engine on a late model (there is never a reason to just remove the
engine in an early, too easy to do it whole), keep the rear end high, as
when you lower the engine it will droop in the rear. Also, a bottle jack
placed on the differential (jacking against the package shelf) keeps the
differential at a fixed angle as loads change. Very important to keep
from breaking the diff snout. This also involves constantly changing the
jack height as you roll the engine rearward.

When working in the yard, I used plywood to make a flat surface for the
jack to roll on.

Frank DuVal