<VV> Spark Plug Gap

MarK Durham 62vair at gmail.com
Sat Jun 21 19:30:39 EDT 2014

There are lots opinions out there but the fact of the matter is that its
the type of and limitations of the system installed that determines how big
a gap is possible. Original systems were limited on gap because the points
and condensors amps carrying capacity were limited due to design and
metallurgy limitations.
That is why .035 works well for points ignition. Its the gap the points and
condensor could reliably sustain. My original Corvair in the late 60s would
only get 15 to 18k mikes out of a set of plugs, points and condensor. Hence
the yearly "tune-ups" that were commonly performed and were essential to
keep a car running good. . If I tried to go longer the points would burn or
the plugs would simply quit! I was on a trip once when that happened and I
had to limp in on 4 cylinders.
Today with electronic ignition you can get 100k out of your plugs and gap
is much wider and hotter for a much better fuel burn.

Mark Durham Hauser Idaho
62 2Door Coupe 4speed Red/Red