<VV> Noisy Lifters

Ray Davis scout1977 at hotmail.com
Wed Jun 25 21:55:42 EDT 2014

First of all, I am no mechanic or even a shade tree wrench turner!  I have some experience with lifters as in replacing o-rings.  I can replace some parts and do tune-ups.  Several years ago the motor in my rampside came apart on I-85 in North Carolina.  There was an article in the March 2008 Communique on that epic adventure.

As a result Allen Bristow rebuilt the motor while Frank DuVal looked on and gave technical advice and I cleaned parts.  The lifters would not stay adjusted from the get go.  Allen adjusted them a couple of times and called in Frank (who had better hearing).  Frank adjusted and still they did not stay adjusted.  A call was made to Clark's who suggested some how the rocker arms must be from an old batch that were not within specs.  They asked me to return them and they would send new ones.  I sent them back but took ones off a spare motor I had.  We installed the ones off the spare motor, adjusted them and have not had a problem since.  I have no idea if the ones off the spare motor were original, NOS or other.  That motor was rebuilt in the late 60s and has about 40,000 miles on it. Ray Davis