<VV> Nader And----

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Tue Mar 4 00:38:12 EST 2014

But he knew of the Corvair lawsuits, and how GM was handling them. He asked
why people were being injured and killed in Corvairs
James Rice
Smitty Says;  James I know the auto industry was rather cavalier about an
acceptable level of loss of human life in their products.  Ford admitted
that in the Pinto fuel tank fiasco.  I do believe that those failures of
safety should have been brought under scrutiny and dealt with.  But when the
man made a blanket attack on Corvairs in his first chapter, he was wrong.
He attacked the overall safety of the car which was proven to be in error.
Many words have been printed on both sides of the argument, but how many
were Corvair wrecks where the driver was an unskilled young person that
might not even have been able to handle any car at the limit he was
expecting?  How many were by middle aged people who couldn't be bothered
with reading the glove box door or owners manual on tire pressures?  How
many took the kid at the filling stations word on correct tire pressure even
though they had read the manual.  How many enjoyed the sweet handling of
Earlies at moderate speeds and then exceeded their own driving limits when
they pushed too hard?  Were those GMs fault?  Subtract those from the over
all incidents, and there would have been damn few left.  Which, if Nadir
were an honest man rather than a self aggrandizing lawyer, he would have
done, to arrive at factual numbers.  His minions should have been busting
their butts to get out to the salvage yards to check tire pressures and
driver experience levels and how many kids were packed in the car and
whether booze was involved if they were after truth.  Instead, he just
claimed that every wrecked Corvair vindicated his stand.
Let me lay a situation on you.  It was supposed to sleet and snow today but
I wanted to make a visit to an old friend in a "home" about 25 miles away.
I sat and talked to him for about an hour, keeping an eye out the window for
precipitation.  When I stood up I realized that it had sleeted about an inch
and I never seen it coming down.  I told him I better get headed home before
it got worse.  I got out on the Interstate and into the darndest mess of
nutty traffic I have seen in years.  If I had piled up my Corvair on the way
home, whose fault could it be?  GMs.  I hardly think so.  When I was doing
everything in my power to stay safe, you don't think I would want to accept
any responsibility for a wreck do you.  But ultimately it would be my fault.
I chose to be out there.  And that is the difference between me and the low
lifes in the world that think everyone owes them a "Pass".  That is the kind
of thinking Nadir promoted with his tort law promotions.
See You at the PW