<VV> Convention attendance

Alan Eggleston AlanE.Eggleston at scouting.org
Wed Mar 5 06:11:46 EST 2014

In the many conventions and annual meetings I have attended, first you must register, and secondly you must pay if you want full access, and third you must be a member.  There are always people to watch the door for name tags, etc.  Also, many of the special activities are additional costs.  Outdoor activities might be difficult to police.

I attend gun shows monthly, and have to pay to enter just to walk around.  The venue costs money to rent, the vendors pay for tables, the food is usually more expensive because the food vendor pays to set up.  I think by allowing unrestricted or even limited access we are selling ourselves short, undermining the vendors, and losing a lot of money from those who just want to look.

You pay to go to museums, you pay to go to national monuments, you pay to go to state parks.  My point is that there are ALWAYS people who go to national conventions and events to see what they can get or do for free, while I pay to do it.  They might not get full access, but are satisfied with limited access.  Charge them to look around.  They have money.  In some cases like our National Scout Jamborees, they drove 1,000 miles, are staying at a hotel/motel and buying their food and trinkets.  They have money.  They might not want to stay the entire time, but want to get the feel of the event.  What they are really doing is not supporting the infrastructure required to put it on in the first place!

Alan Eggleston
CORSA member
Corvair owner
Boy Scout Executive