<VV> MOVING FOWARD

kenpepke at juno.com kenpepke at juno.com
Thu Mar 6 09:39:17 EST 2014

It just staggers me to see how many people actually believe that a Corporation like CORSA can be successful if left to just float around somewhere in the air and relying on the dwindling membership to do what they can to direct!  Just look at your own local CORSA Chapter … see anyone that steps up to lead?  Or do meetings and events just sort of happen among the membership?  Failure to establish a viable Charter with proper leadership has kept CORSA on the border of financial disaster since the beginning.

Can individual members cause changes?  Sure!  Travel way back in time when the only members welcome at the national convention were owners of show winning quality cars.  In those days the DACC Homecoming regularly had more participants than the National Convention!  The belief was having a show of street driven cars would dilute the quality of the Convention.  Today, you would say that is crazy … but back then I had to campaign, including registered letters, to pressure the BoD to include what turned out to be more than 90 percent of the membership.

For most of the last 25 years I have campaigned to pressure CORSA into taking an active part in promoting that organization.  I have called upon them to provide advertising for the local clubs newsletters; I have called upon them to inform us of new ideas, plans and activities generated to entice new membership!  So far I have been a miserable failure.  But, I know why … Without proper leadership there ARE NO PLANS to bring forward!

So, does leadership really matter?  Not to those that have no idea how a Corporation like CORSA is supposed to operate.  Every day without leadership CORSA gets closet to failure.  Times are changing.  The heyday of single marque clubs such as CORSA has come … and is going.  Today the hobby has swung to all marque cruises.  If ya take your Corvair to one of these events you might very well be the ONLY one there!  Many will look, few will recognize.  That is the price of CORSA's failure to promote.

There can be no question that the 'ME' and the 'GIVE ME' generations we are raising today have little or no concern about providing support to any group as a whole.  They have no reason to see value in organizations such as CORSA.  Short sighted persons will jump right in and say they know somebody that is not like that!  Still, someday CORSA could fall from their precarious financial position.  It matters not!  Some other far more organized group will take over and the marque will be better off for it.

At least I have tried.

Ken P
Wyandotte, MI
65 Monza 110hp 4 speed 2 door
Worry looks around; Sorry looks back, Faith looks up.