<VV> THE BOARD

Corvair Underground sales at corvairunderground.com
Thu Mar 6 15:33:46 EST 2014

      Now comes the endless wailing about the Corsa board.

To the gent who said "This is supposed to be fun" then resigned from the
board. NO - it isn't supposed to be fun. He had the wrong expectations.

Membership in Corsa is supposed to be fun - ownership of a Corvair is
supposed to be fun but membership on the board, while it can be fun,
oftentimes isn't.

The board is where all the dirty business has to be taken care of. The
board is the pinnacle of political action within the organization.

Marge Simpson said - "One person can make a difference - and probably
shouldn't."   While not literally true it reminds us that the board is
11 people who, individually, each think they're going to make a
difference. Progress happens only when a majority of them want to make
the same kind of difference.

If you're thinking of running for the board you should have experience
in political situations and should remember that the CORSA board is an
experience FAR different from regular Corsa membership.

I served myself once on the board but missed one of my 3 board meetings
(because of heart surgery). At the time I served I was still a major
Corvair parts vendor and it had been suggested parts vendors should not
be members of the board. I didn't seek the position - it was offered to
me because there were no candidates in the Western division that election.

The board was exactly what I expected but I didn't spend enough time on
it to do much. The serious consideration of cost was not an issue for me
as I was still vending at all the nationals - and many of the smaller
meets as well, so I was already there.

What we expect of our board isn't much different than what we expect of
our Congress (17% approval rating?) so let's move on.

Being that I am no longer a "major" vendor I might run again - but I
couldn't afford to make the meetings, although I plan on being at Tacoma
this year.

Of greater concern to me, is that Mike and Harry are getting close to
retirement age. How will Corsa handle this paradigm shifting event?

Lon Wall
www.corvairunderground.com
Former Western Director