<VV> Chrysler/Fiat orders Rare Collector Car Crushed -

Gary Swiatowy gswiatowy at rochester.rr.com
Thu Mar 6 15:53:35 EST 2014

This comes as no real surprise.
GM over the years has crushed several historical concept cars, and it is a
good bet they crushed 1969 Corvair # 6000.

Chrysler, over the years has destroyed others. A good example would be the
turbine car. Most of those were destroyed so they would not get into private
hands. And at least 2 of them are in private hands. Jay Leno has one. And
though he has deep pockets, if something happens while that car is driven on
the street. Corporate would be worried.

Fiat/Chrysler is not the old Chrysler that the enthusiasts revere. They are
in the business of selling new cars, not catering to enthusiasts. The
Chrysler Museum has been closed. At one time, people within Chrysler had to
actually hide historical vehicles from the bean counters as they were looked
on as assets that had to be sold. This happened before the Chrysler Museum
opened.

A Viper in the hands of a student?
Sooner or later someone will take it for a ride. Wouldn't that be first on
your mind if you were a student? If I had access, I would have the urge!

Happens all the time, some employee at a dealership sneaks out a super car
for a quick joy ride, and can't handle it.

Back in 1996, when the Viper was the pace car of the Indy 500. Part of the
deal is supplying something like 50 vehicles for VIP's to use during speed
weeks. You think Chrysler was dumb enough to hand over 50+ vipers for people
to play with? Imagine the carnage! What they did was release a special;
edition Indy 500 Dodge Ram Pace Truck for the VIP's. Also sold those as a
special edition to the public. I have one and it's a cool truck.
The Viper did pace the race, and there were several on hand, but they were
not loaned out to just anyone.

Yeah, it's a shame to destroy the car, but being serial # 4, it was most
likely not intentioned for street use ever. It was still in the experimental
stages. It belongs in a museum. But even museum cars sometimes end up back
in private hands.

Gary Swiatowy