<VV> Chrysler/Fiat orders Rare Collector Car Crushed -

Karl Haakonsen (cityhawk@pobox.com) karlhaakonsen at comcast.net
Thu Mar 6 21:42:01 EST 2014

Still, it seems fishy that this liability is at the root of the destruction of the vehicles. Liability is always an issue in our tort-crazy society, but if that were the reason for automakers crushing special cars, then they'd crush all the high performance muscle cars they make lest they get into the wrong hands after they're sold. And sometimes the cars aren't all that fast (eg '69 Vair #6000). I'm curious what the real reason is. Perhaps there are some automotive secrets in some prototypes that manufacturers don't want out. Or perhaps in the case of the turbine cars, if out on the road in the wrong hands, it would be a PR disaster. I think that sometimes manufacturers are afraid of bad press, or negative publicity regarding what could be highly collectible one-offs. People might view the turbine car as an expensive failure or boondoggle, and Chrysler wouldn't want to let that out. I don't know, I'm just speculating, but it seems odd that manufacturers haven't figured out that they could make money either by selling these assets to collectors or by keeping them and promoting their automotive history.

It also seems odd to me that auto makers haven't capitalized on enthusiasm of collectors and enthusiasts of their former vehicles to help to generate brand loyalty and enthusiasm. But that would be enlightened self-interest rather than the bean counter mentality that prevails at most of the automakers today.

Karl in Boston
CORSA Eastern Director
Bay State Corvairs
Stock Corvair Group
Corvanatics
1966 Monza Convertible 110/PG project car