<VV> 64 coupe weak acceleration.

J. R. Read hmlinc at sbcglobal.net
Wed Mar 12 15:30:54 EDT 2014

Gas in the tank of course.  Have you tried running the engine from a can of gas SECURED in the engine compartment - in other words, NOT from the tank?

While I would agree with others that the accelerator pump cups are probably history and have likely left particles in the carbs to plug things up, I'm not convinced that the problem isn't further forward - like a plugged up sock (filter) in the tank.

Also, you made no mention (that I saw) of carb balancing.  Has that been done?  Do you have a Unisyn tool?

Oh, back on the carbs.  If the problem is junk in them, you might be able to temporarily clear it by removing the air filter and revving the engine (from the rear of the car) and then cupping your hand over the top of each carb ( 4 or 5 times) to create a sucking action (your hand will get gas on it) and this will usually clear the junk out of internal passages.  Rev it up to 2800 or so, put you hand over a carb and leave it there till the engine nearly quits.  Do each carb separately.  If it now runs better for a while, you need to clean the carbs and also ask yourself where the junk came from.  It could be the tank.

I believe that you also mentioned an in-line gas filter.  Do you have rubber gas lines in the engine compartment?  Go back to steel lines ASAP.  There is already a "stone" filter in each carb - under the big nut.  Replace those and ditch the in-line filter.  This is assuming that you have verified the tank is not the source of the problem - actually, regardless - but find the source of the junk.

Your stumble problem could also be a weak fuel pump.  OR - other things.  Please let us know the results of the tests I've mentioned - whether good or bad.

Later, JR