<VV> Car number 2- 1966 Monza

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Wed Mar 26 15:01:08 EDT 2014

Well, I have to weigh in here. It seems to me, that in about all cases, a
rust free body is the most important thing, unless you are or have access to
a good body man who can butt weld metal and finish same for painting. And
afford to do it.  Mechanical items are obtainable and can normally be
rebuilt -exceptions, some things, but transmissions, engines, fuel pumps,
differentials, steering, suspension etc. can all be rebuilt. Glass can be
replaced, upholstery and soft parts bought. Since you appear to be in CA,
seems to me, a rust-free car is available. The first car appeared to not
have any bondo, according to you, Joe. The second one may have rust and/or
bondo, etc.

Even though we often can acquire complete running cars for little money,
when figuring the cost of fixing things, it gets expensive quickly. Good
body work is hard to find and expensive. MAACO charges $100 an opening;
doors, trunks, engine compartments, etc. Even if you pay for a good prep &
paint, they probably will not properly mask and protect ares you don't want
sprayed. And they won't do a good job on underneath front end valance and
rocker panels. Every try and clean an engine compartment that has overspray?
Major effort. If one can afford it, worth it to buy completed.

Just price gasket sets, carb rebuilding kits, etc. Price heater hose for
example. Without figuring your labor, one can put a lot of money into a
beater just to run well. Therefore, to me, one should look for what they can
fix or replace and price what they can't.

Now if it it is someone who has zero money, then it is another story.  Many
of us have been there and suffered over the years because we wouldn't or
couldn't come up with money to do a job right. We got by...

Chuck S