<VV> beryllium hazard No Corvair

Smitty vairologist at cox.net
Thu Mar 27 15:51:49 EDT 2014

There's a myth about the toxicity of beryllium
alloys. The parts are not toxic at all, it's the dust from machining them
that's the problem. So, grind them with care, and with lots of coolant. The
only known route of ingestion is inhalation of the dust. I assume no one
is eating the dust and shavings!!
Smitty Says;   when we were changing brake assemblies on aircraft with
beryllium parts in the Navy we had to seal the assemblies up in 10 mil
plastic bags and then seal them up in cardboard boxes to return them to
overhaul.  Nobody ever said anything about washing our hands before eating
though, and I can't see that it did any dam, dam, damage to M,M, Ma , Mu,
Me.