<VV> Electrical problem #2

Jim Becker jim.becker at verizon.net
Sun May 4 10:46:06 EDT 2014

When you have a tail light that has lost its ground, the tail light appears
to work (although slightly dim) because it completes a circuit through both
brake filaments and to ground on the opposite side.  When you step on the
brakes with the tail lights on, you are applying 12 volts to both filaments
of both tail lights.  The one with a good ground will light up both
filaments.  The side with no ground will now have 12 volts applied to the
"hot" side of both filaments.  With no ground, the voltage difference across
both filaments is zero and the light goes out.

This is the exact symptoms initially described.  The lost ground is on the
right.

Jim Becker