<VV> The latest on the metallic rapping noise from my recently built 3.1

Tony Underwood tony.underwood at cox.net
Sun May 4 13:57:15 EDT 2014

At 04:43 PM 5/3/2014, Bob Gilbert 1 via VirtualVairs wrote:
>Here is the latest.
>

>I took both heads off and there is no visible damage or unusual marks on the
>heads, on the top of the pistons or the cylinder walls from TDC to BDC
>
>At this time all of the cylinders and pistons are still in place.

Just for sake of mention...

You might wanna check the edges of the piston crowns to make sure
they're not "bumping" anything at TDC.  I've seen some engines make
this noise when nothing else seemed wrong, to find that the edges of
the piston crowns were tapping the edges of a "knurled over" head
gasket that, when torqued tight, was spreading enough to get in the
way of a piston which was actually extending farther up the jug when
the heads were torqued than it was observed to be doing with the
heads off the engine.  Another I saw which was very obvious once the
head came off was a piston or two with the edges of the crown
actually scarred from hitting head material that had extruded out
from under the head gasket from being torqued down excessively and
evidently from also possibly having been overheated... although in a
rebuild I'd not expect to see anything like that.

Still, look close to see if there's evidence of the piston crown
edges contacting the head gasket etc.

Probably not the case but it's worth a look.

tony..