64 Stabilizer bushing replacement

Kurt Guttensohn rizakoyt at yahoo.com
Mon May 5 09:27:29 EDT 2014

Hi all,
Started out the other morning getting what I thought would be a few simple maintenance issues with the Corvair done.
I got the car up on jack stands, changed the oil and filter, and then headed to the front to replace the very brittle, almost non  existent stabilizer bushings.  No problem until I got the the top stabilizer support bolt on the passenger side.  The bolt sheered off on the nut side.  No problem, I would just break it loose and tap it out.  Well I spent the entire day trying to get the bolt loose from the steel sleeve so I could tap it out.  I tried everything but heat (thought it would not be a good idea so close to the gas tank.)  The bolt head was rounded off, so it took a bit to fit a vice grip on with enough clamp pressure to even get enough on it to get it turning.  I tried drilling the bolt from the sleeve, but that was slow going, tough on the bits I was dulling very quickly, and getting me nowhere quick.
So I decided to take a break from it and see if I could think of anything else before dropping the front suspension.
Does anyone have any ideas of something to try in that confined space, or am I doomed to pull the tie rods and break lines and drop the suspension.
I had an idea this morning about using the vibrating cutter too from Harbor Freight.  It does have a flat metal cutting blade.  I am not sure if there is enough room to get the blade between the stabilizer support and the frame, to only cut through the sleeve and bolt, without cutting the support or frame.  I am also not sure if the blade would just be eaten up by the sleeve and bolt.  If no one has any other ideas, I may try that tonight after work.  I really don't want to drop the suspension out.

Thanks,
Kurt