<VV> Suspension option for '64? Was: Heavy duty suspension?

Bill Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Tue May 13 19:44:03 EDT 2014

Sorry, Boss, but that's not the reason.  It is true that the early 4-speed's longer length required cutting a notch out of the rear crossmember, but that work was done by Chevrolet, not Fisher.

Yes, there is are different Fisher codes for Powerglide and 4-speed, the PG code, as I stated earlier, told Fisher NOT to cut a hole in the front carpet for the shifter.

Fisher was responsible for the unibody and the interior, but not the suspension - Fisher shipped the body with the rear carpet installed but the front just rolled up and placed on the seats, as Chevrolet still had to install the floor pedals, control cables, shifter, etc. But it was Fisher's responsibility to cut the hole in the front carpet if there was going to be a floor shifter installed by Chevrolet, so they needed the PG code to tell them NOT to do that.

But WHAT is different about the body between a 3-speed (standard - no code) and a 4-speed (fisher option code?

At one point I thought it might be the backup light wire, but nope, that was also installed by Chevy.

How do we know what Chevy installed and what Fisher installed?  Simple - check the assembly manuals.  These were CHEVY assembly manuals, so unless it says in the manual that the job was released to Fisher, it was done by Chevy.

A good example of how this works is the Fisher option code for rear antenna in 1964. You might think it was there to tell Fisher to drill a hole in the rear fender and not in the front fender, but nope, Chevy drilled those holes and installed the antennas. The reason is the rear speaker wire had to be routed under the rear carpet, seat, and trim panel (cardboard) and since those were installed by Fisher, Chevy released installation of that wire to Fisher - and that's why Fisher has the option code.

Another example - option code for custom and convenience group (day/night mirror, glove box light, driver's side door mirror) - all this pieces were installed by Chevrolet, so why did Fisher need a code?  It turns out that they installed a reinforcement panel in the door for the outside mirror - that's right - if you added a mirror later the screws just bite into the door skin, but if it was a factory option there is an additional sheet of steel under the door skin.

But I digress.  WHY did Fisher need to know the difference between a 3-speed and 4-speed?

Bill Hubbell