<VV> Dropped valve seats

wfcc at mediacombb.net wfcc at mediacombb.net
Wed May 14 13:13:06 EDT 2014

I got up with the guy in Florida that was looking for some heads. He has a 66 110 that had  no compression on cylinders 1 and 6.  We pulled the heads off and it had dropped valve seats in both heads- at the same time ! That sounds like some really bad luck, especially for a first time Corvair owner. The motor itself looked like a Johnny Cash motor,  Smog motor with 66/67 heads, various aftermarket pushrods, and other stuff that looked like they just used whatever was laying around.  The heads themselves looked like they were brand new- spotless clean and the exhaust stacks were still clean and shiny-no rust, no discoloration from oil, very little carbon buildup. Anybody else ever heard of dropping two valve seats at once -on opposite sides ?

                                                                         Ed Lindsay
                                                                          West Florida Corvair Club