<VV> Cylinder Head Temp Installation

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Sat May 17 03:15:59 EDT 2014

Technical tip for installation of Cylinder Head Temp  gauges.
Over the years I have installed just about every type and brand of
cylinder head temp gauge, from stock adaptations to aftermarket gauges. Aside  from
the thermistor-type sender for the stock Spyder/Corsa dash gauge, most of
the aftermarket uses thermocouples, bi-metallic junctions of dissimilar
metals  that create a voltage when heated, to drive their displays. Being
blissfully  unaware of the issues introduced by adding more junctions, my first
non-stock  installation was in my Corvair powered Lola, where there was only
room in the  dash for a single head temp gauge. So I installed two senders
and switched their  outputs to select the left or right sender to display. I
was likely reading  wrong numbers, but relative readings were what I needed,
so everything worked  fine. Most of the aftermarket gauges use a
thermocouple crimped into a ring  terminal that is designed to go under a spark plug.
Although accurate, this  style adds a bit of awkward work while changing p
lugs.  In the past I have replaced the  spark-plug sized ring terminals with
smaller ones and clamped the terminals  under socket-head screws replacing the
original temp senders.  Doug Hargrove upped the ante by drilling  through
the bolts and using a spring to push the “couple” up against the  cylinder
head, for the fastest reading of temp changes. A pair of easily  available
Cylinder head temp gauges are available from Westberg Manufacturing in
Sonoma, CA., under the Westach line. They provide a very nice thermocouple
mounting design that looks like it was designed for the Corvair. A machined
fitting screws into the 3/8-24 stock machined hole in the turbo or 140 head,
allowing the thermocouple to be placed up tight against the head, retained
tightly in place but easily removable if you need to drop the motor out. A nice
 product. If you want to use the gauge in an “other than turbo/140” head,
you can  use the thermistor adapter from Clark’s. It screws into the stock
3/8-16 threads  and presents a 3/8-24 thread for the Westach fitting.
Another benefit from this application  showed up when I found the first few
threads “missing” on one of the heads on  the race car. Since the regular fitting
couldn’t work, I tapped the threads out  to a 1/8-27 NPT and used a simple
pipe thread adapter to install the Westach  hardware. The thermocouple slid
right in and bottomed into the head as intended.  Westach offers both single
indicator and dual indicator gauges in their Cylinder  Head temp line.  You
can find the  items at   http://www.westach.com/   If you want  help with
part numbers or applications, just drop me a  note.
Seth  Emerson