<VV> Jefferson 500 at Summit Point Raceway this past weekend, 15-18 May 2014

BBRT chsadek at comcast.net
Sun May 18 21:23:48 EDT 2014

Dave Edsinger and I raced our Yenko Stingers at the Brian Redmond's Jefferson 500 at Summit Point this past weekend. This race is put on by the Vintage Racing Group (VRG). By registering early, we were able to have a free test day on Thurs, the 15th.   We both went out track on Thursday. My car, #73, ran reasonably well, although it was rpm-limited at around 6000 rpm.

Running on track on Thursday proved to be fruitful as it rained heavily in the area on Thurs eve and Fri morning, resulting in flooding of the track, access roads, surrounding areas, etc. Track personnel were very efficient, pumping standing water away and cleaning the track so that we were able to get cars on track by 11 am on Friday. The next day, on Saturday, we had our first race. Dave started around 8th? and I at 23rd in a field of 37 cars. I finished 18th and second in class. Dave had fan belt issues at the last lap.

The IMSA RS reunion for Trans Am cars of less than 2.5 L held their Ninth Reunion. Since Corvair Yenko Stingers ran in that IMSA series, we are invited to participate in the race.  Dave did so. I am looking forward to driving in their tenth reunion next year at the Jefferson 500 at Summit Point.

All in all, a very good weekend. Weather turned out to be great; sunny, cool.  Both cars performed well, looked great, received a gazillion compliments and drove into their trailers at the end of the day.

Chuck Sadek
YS 073