<VV> Part throttle surging

Mike Stillwell yenko117 at yahoo.com
Mon May 19 16:37:09 EDT 2014

 Sounds like the orifice in the PCV tube is plugged. This is the take off that connects to the balance tube at the front of the motor.

 Mike
 YS-117

On Mon, 5/19/14, Bryan Blackwell via VirtualVairs <virtualvairs at corvair.org> wrote:

Hi folks,

 But I do have an issue I'd like to track down.  It
 starts right up, idles fine, has good power in all gears and
 pulls nicely out on the highway.  But at all speeds and
 gears if you're just driving at partial throttle, it has
 this annoying surge.  It's like you're just slightly on
 and off the throttle.  The car also gets kind of lousy
 mileage for a Corvair, upper teens.  I recently
 replaced the vac advance can because it wasn't advancing and
 that improved the mileage a few mpg but it didn't make any
 difference to the way it drives.

 Engine is a stock '66 110, the only mods are a set of
 relocated jet '66 carbs with 51 jets and a Crane X-700
 ignition (no points).  It has good compression and not
 too many miles on the plugs and wires.  Transaxle is a
 '65 4speed/3.55:1

 One final note - if you're looking for summer performance
 tires that might see an occasional autocross, I'm very happy
 with BFG's gForce Sport COMP2, they handle rain well, ride
 decently, and have pretty good grip.  They will *not*
 work in any kind of freezing/frozen precip, however.

 Bryan Blackwell | Springfield, Va. | bryan at skiblack.com