<VV> Starter with bad spot on armature? I win

corvairduval at cox.net corvairduval at cox.net
Fri May 23 10:18:48 EDT 2014

That's a great looking growler!

I would be proud to own that antique.

The one I use is  made from grinding a hollow in an old tube TV power
transformer.

I said worn brushes because I have never had a bad armature on a GM or Ford
starter (of course, I'm not in the rebuilding business and do hundreds a
month). But I have seen the exact symptoms hundreds of times on all brands
of starters, especially Toyotas. A big clue is hitting the starter while
turning the switch makes it start.

And yes, triming the mica between segments does help, but those hard
starter brushes do a good job of keeping the mica level with the segments.
Carbon brushes need all the help they can get, so the mica really needs to
be cut lower than the segments on generators, universal motors, etc.

Frank

Original email: