<VV> Interesting roads

Jim Davis jld at wk.net
Tue Nov 4 16:14:17 EST 2014

A couple years ago I discovered "Mountain Directory, West for Truckers,
RV and Motorhome Drivers".  There is also one for the East, but I
grew-up in the east (Smokey Mountains), so I have driven most of the
difficult routes in cars.  If you heed the recomendations and
descriptions of these publications, you won't get into trouble.

The hardest climb for us was from Grand Junction, CO to the Eisenhower
Tunnel - 189 miles with a 6,500 ft climb.  The UltraVan was new to us
and has a 95 hp engine with PowerGlide weighing 5,200 lbs.  To make
things worse, it was 88 F degrees ambient when we passed through Vail at
25 mph in low range.  We hit the Western Tunnel Portal at 12 mph.  Roy
had her foot on the floor for 95% of the five hour climb, as I was
looking for places to turn around encase we stalled out.    Now with a
190 cuin Corvair engine and a 140 PowerGlide, we can make the climb in
high at 50-60 mph.

This year our UltraVan's International Rally was in Cody, WY so we took
the chance to drive WY-14A and experience Bald Mountain pass and "OMG
Hill" (10% grade for 10 miles - that'll heat the treansmission and oil
temperature up :-) ).
Jim Davis