<VV> FW: Windshield/backlight popping out in E.M. rollovers; Was: Getting Stranded

William Hubbell whubbell at verizon.net
Tue Nov 4 21:48:15 EST 2014

-----Original Message-----
From: William Hubbell [mailto:whubbell at verizon.net]
Sent: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 9:05 PM
To: 'Bryan Blackwell'; 'wrsssatty at aol.com'
Subject: RE: <VV> Windshield/backlight popping out in E.M. rollovers; Was:
Getting Stranded

Bryan,

Gee, you'd think I'd have lots of photos of door latches, but after a quick
look through my photo collection I only found a few.  Well, I went out to my
garage and took a few more detail shots of one of Alice's latches (but it
was dark and I didn't use flash, so they look golden instead of silver).

Anyway, I put a gallery up on the SCG site - you can link directly to it
here:
http://stock.corvair.org/wpmu/?p=2449.  There is one really good picture of
the early (non-safety) latch, and several good pictures of the safety latch
and striker plate.  Sorry, I haven't yet found any photos of the non-safety
striker plate, but when I do I will add them to the gallery.

The main difference between the two latches is the addition of a flange at
the outer end of the door latch, and a plate at the outer end of the
striker, such that when the door is closed the flange slides in behind the
striker and that secures the door in the fore and aft direction.

You can easily swap out the striker plates between the '60-'62 and '63-'64
cars, but it takes some modification of the door to install the later
(safety) version of the latch - you'd need to make the hole in the door
bigger to allow the flange to get through.

Bill Hubbell