<VV> EZ Lift

RoboMan91324 at aol.com RoboMan91324 at aol.com
Tue Nov 11 13:20:42 EST 2014

Mike,

I saw the prototype demonstration.  It is a clever and  safe design.

It has been a long time so I don't recall if there is a  mechanical catch
but the design uses two Acme type screws instead of ball  screws.  Acme
screws are less efficient and require much more force to move  than ball screws.
In this application, the Acme screw gives two  benefits.  First, they are
cheaper.  Second, the force required to  move the screw in relation to the
nut is great enough that the car and lift will  not fall on its own.  You must
use the drill to both raise and lower  the lift.  In effect, you must both
force it up and down.  The heavier  the car, the more force required to both
raise or lower it.  Buy a heavy  duty, reversible drill.  Also, brace
yourself for  significant torque/kick-back on the drill when you first start  it.
 Keep this in mind, you are holding a hand drill so if the lift was capable
of lowering itself, once you released  the mechanical catch (if any) the
lift would back drive the screw and scissor  system before you could shift
from the safety catch to the drill with  potentially disastrous results.  Also,
you might be tempted to put the  drill on "auto" so you don't need to keep
holding the trigger.   Don't.  If your greasy hand slips off the drill, it
will spin and wrap up  the cord until the cord is pulled from the outlet by
you or the drill.  The  good news is that in this case, the drill body will
spin, not the drive on the  lift.

With that said, the lift may still have a mechanical  catch.  If this is
still a concern, check with Boytcho for that  info.

Have safe fun with it.

Doc

In a message dated 11/11/2014 7:02:50 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,

Message:  4