<VV> three fan belt Corvairs

Thompson, Ed (MKE x1231) ed.thompson at quarles.com
Sat Nov 15 18:21:15 EST 2014

As kind of a segue from the Corsa / Spyder, 3-speed thread (in the sense of an oddity), '67 Vairs built for original sale in California, equipped with factory A/C, had three fan belts -- motor, smog and A/C.  They had to be 95 or 110 hp, as a 140 and A/C was available in '66 model year only cars.  '66 "California Vairs" with factory A/C were exempt from smog equipment., so they had "just" two belts, with '66 California Corsa turbo cars, also smog exempt, having just the one belt.  I think I have all of these quirky details correct, but perhaps not.  Personally, I've only ever seen one '67 A/C "California Vair" with three belts, at a Chicago Club meeting, I think in the mid-90's, a lot of "plumbing" as I recall!  With less than 1,400 A/C Vairs built in the entire '67 model year run, and perhaps just 10 - 20% going  to California dealers, there are likely few, if any, (factory) 3-belt Vairs still around?

Ed, Milwaukee, '66 Monza sedan, 110-glide, LA-built (two belts, no A/C)
CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This electronic mail transmission and any attachments are confidential and may be privileged. They should be read or retained only by the intended recipient. If you have received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and delete the transmission from your system.