<VV> Oil pump pressure control

Sethracer at aol.com Sethracer at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 14:42:41 EST 2014

The spring seats in a plunger that rides between two cavities in the rear
housing. One cavity is connected to the output of thee pump, the other is
connected to the input of the pump. As oil pressure comes up on the front of
the  plunger, (exposed to the cavity from the output of the pump), it pushes
the  plunger down in the bore - against that spring that you found. As the
plunger moves in the bore, it exposes the second cavity. Since that  cavity
is much lower in pressure, being the feed to the pump from  the pickup in
the oil pan, the oil bleeds off into the second cavity and  back into the
pump. This keeps the oil pressure in the system at pre-designed  levels. The
spring can be shimmed or stretched to raise the pressure point  where the oil
is recirculated. That raises the oil pressure in the  motor, at least at the
input to the oil galleries. In general, the stock  Corvair pump is up to
the task of maintaining adequate pressure in the system.  Replacing the
standard pump with a high-volume pump often means the pressure  limiting system
will just remain open more and recirculate the oil. If the  system has been
modified, as an example - to pump the oil up to the front  of the car to a
cooler and remote filter - The increased volume from the bigger  pump might
regain the oil pressure you must have inside the motor. Otherwise,  there is
really no need for it. - Seth Emerson

In a message dated 11/18/2014 11:14:38 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,