<VV> Starter issue ~ used-but-good solenoids ?

Joel McGregor joel at joelsplace.com
Thu Nov 20 15:51:25 EST 2014

Solenoids are super easy to change but he needs a bendix/lever so it would be a waste of time.  Solenoids are available at your local auto parts store but the bendix is a Corvair only part I believe.  The solenoid is the same one used on all older small blocks and many other GM starters for years.  My experience is that most new solenoids are garbage.  It's been very difficult for me to find good ones locally.  I did find a local rebuilder that sold a "heavy duty" one that worked well but he's gone now.  I'm sure the vendors would know which ones are good and sell them.
I haven't had too many starter motors go bad on Corvairs but I have had a few.
I would rate failures in the following order:
1) solenoid
2) bushings & brushes
3) bendix
4) armature or windings